Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's been so long since I've seen the ocean...I guess I should

Song: "A Long December" by Counting Crows

February 13th (Sydney time)

After the shuttle arrived, I got checked in and got to my room, which is one room and one bath in a 5 bedroom 5 bath apartment. These are the apartments built to house some of the Sydney 200 Olympians. It's quite spacious. I unpacked a little and then headed off to the international student welcome BBQ at U@MQ, the student union of sorts at Macquarie. I didn't exactly know where I was going, but I had a decent map and found my way there. I went to the UBar on the top floor to look for some other international students. I met some Macquarie students who helping out who were very nice and helpful, and after that I went searching for some free BBQ food. Unfortunately, by the time I got there, there was nothing left but cooked onions. I decided instead to peruse the international student information fair: I filled out a survey for a free coffee voucher, I tried vegemite (it's pretty much yeast and salt, and it's not my favorite), I picked up boatloads of papers about things around campus. It was definitely informative. After I left the main area, I decided to go explore the rest of U@MQ. I found the co-op bookshop and went and peeked in there. Also the little convenience store was fun to look around in. "Crack the Shutters" by Snow Patrol was playing on the radio and I kind of filled with glee. I'm not used to obscure Snow Patrol being played in public areas.

Note: After about a week here, I've decided that Snow Patrol and Kings of Leon are very popular. This makes my day regularly.

I went back to my apartment soon after and got ready to go to Surf Camp. I had a ton of time between finishing packing and having to leave, so I decided to go explore Macquarie Centre (the mall right off campus). I originally went searching for a cell (excuse me, mobile) phone and found a bunch of other stores in the mall. They even have an ice rink. I didn't have any cash at the time, so getting lunch was more difficult than I thought. I ended up going to Woolworth's (the grocery store) and getting some potato salad and an apple. The first time I tried to pay for it, it didn't work because I attempted to use debit, but I got it straightened out. They even had free yogurt samples in the store. There was a very helpful guy working there who could tell I wasn't from around here and he helped me out a lot.

After Woolworth's, I went on a crazy quest to find the Optus (mobile phone provider) store. I knew it was on level 4, but it took me forever to find it. Once I got there, I got my phone and brought it back to the waiting area for the bus to surf camp. While waiting for surf camp, I met up with Laura, Alyson and Joanne who all go to University of Maryland. Joanne and I sat together on the bus on the way there. I think I slept for most of it. During the trip we met Chaplin, Sean and Ema, all surf instructors at camp. They were a lot of fun. Joanne and I sat in the front, and Chaplin actually woke me up once I fell asleep. Scary, but hysterical.

We stopped to get burgers at this place known for burgers which I can't remember somewhere between Macquarie and Gerroa. It was delicious. I had the pineapple and cheese burger.

Note: Australia likes to put pineapples and beets on burgers. This is delicious.

We left there soon after finishing our burgers (Thanks again Joanne for lending me that money. I swear I'll get it back to you in some form!) and headed down to Gerroa. Once we arrived, we split into huts, and I was with Heather and Alex. Alex is from the university and she was incredibly helpful. She also had a really cute kid.

There wasn't much of anything on the agenda Friday night so a group of us decided to go explore the ocean. It was beautiful and the sand was so soft I can't describe it. We stuck our feet in the ocean for a long time before we realized the sand was actually glowing under our feet. We were told that it was due to phosphorous in the sand. Regardless, it was the coolest thing ever and we played with it for a long time. After getting back to camp, we were exhausted and went to sleep.

Hello ocean, you are a magical beast.

From Surf Camp

1 comment:

  1. oh no!!! beware of radioactive sand crabs! I hear they can be quite cantankerous.

    ReplyDelete